An overview of the milestones I’d like to achieve with Vices and Virtues.
Milestone 1: Development of Story and Characters
- Refine the story and storyworld overview that I’ve written up.
- Create the concrete characters who will go with the conceptual ones that have been presented.
- Make sure each character’s backstory is solid.
- Define the general plot of the graphic novel.
- Define any branches in the story.
- Write out the actual story and plot of the graphic novel, tying all of the events together.
- Edit story, review for any gaps.
- Enter story into Ren’Py, run through all possible outcomes, check for flaws.
Milestone 2: Character Art/Graphic Design
- Determine art style of the game.
- Generate character art – this will include sprites for varying expressions and for various forms/outfits the characters may wear.
- Get or create background art.
Milestone 3: UI design
- Style in-game UI design to match the art style/feel of the game.
- Test UI to make sure it is compatible with the existing art and story.
Milestone 2.5: Beta testing
- Have beta testers play the game, ask them what they think of it.
- Release a free trial of the game, without music, sound, etc. Only the first chapter is available.
- Based on user feedback, refine story, art, etc.
- Revise things as needed. Replay to ensure smooth game play experience.
Milestone 3: Polish
- Purchase or find and add music, sound.
Milestone 4: Play testing
- Have better trial available. Allow alpha testers (people from English visual novel review blogs?) to play the game and give their reviews.
- Establish a system to sell the game to people via the website. Consider different sales avenues.
Milestone 5: Pre-Orders
- Accept pre-orders for the game. First three days after pre-order release will include a discounted price.
- Perform any tweaking, as necessary.
Milestone 6: Full release
- Release game to pre-order holders, general public, as orders come in.
- Review customer feedback.
- Perform post-mortem analysis of the game.
- Roll out patches as necessary.